Learn More About RiSE
Meet our RiSE Alumni
Friends & Sponsors
Graduate Programs of Study
Northeast Alliance for Graduate
Winter Science & Engineering
Eligibility ~ RiSE Advantage ~ RiSE Research Experience ~ RiSE Academic Year Enhancement
RiSE Residential Experience ~ Financial Incentives ~ Share Your Application ~ Apply Now ~ Timetable ~ Contact Us
May 28 — August 2, 2013
U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
We particularly encourage:
- groups underrepresented in the sciences, math, or engineering
- students from economically/educationally disadvantaged backgrounds
- first generation to attend college
- students attending predominantly undergraduate institutions that do not offer opportunities for independent, cutting-edge research
- Non-traditional students
- Individuals who have faced life challenges
Completion of at least the sophomore year by June 2013. Under some circumstances, we will consider current first-years with outstanding credentials.
- Minimum GPA of B (3.0/4.0), although exceptions may be granted. Admission is highly selective, and successful applicants typically have excellent academic records.
The RiSE Advantage
RiSE offers cutting-edge research in the sciences, technology, engineering, and math as well as the behavioral/social sciences. But we offer more than an exciting research experience! Hereís how RiSE distinguishes itself from many other programs:
A myriad of research choices, including exciting interdisciplinary opportunities.
Personalized mentor-matching. We invite your input.
A weekly academic enrichment/professional development component, called by RiSE alumni "the jewel in the crown," including:
- GRE prep
- Rigorous training in scientific writing and oral presentation
- Graduate school admission workshops, including review of your personal statement
- Exploration of career options
- Guest speakers from academia and industry
- Field trips to nearby pharmaceutical and technology companies
Capstone events. Youíll have the chance to showcase your summer research as both oral and poster presentations. Our culminating Symposium is an exciting, widely attended event with a nationally reputed keynote speaker.
Networking with academic & industrial scientists and engineers. Summer students are often able to arrange future internships.
Record of alumni success
- Award-winning presentations at national conferences (we will help you obtain travel funding)
- Placement at top choice graduate schools
Fun and lasting friendships
- Vibrant, multi-cultural residential community
- Excellent recreational facilities, theaters and restaurants
- Structured social events
- Professional advantages: New Jersey is at the epicenter of the nationís pharmaceutical and high technology industries and employs more scientific professionals than any other state.
- Recreational advantages: Easy access to New York City, Philadelphia, and the Northeast Corridor; nearby beaches, mountains & outdoor recreation
The RiSE Research Experience
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, is ranked among the leading research universities in North America. Our campus is also home to the Cancer Institute of New Jersey and the School of Public Health, and we offer an M.D./Ph.D. in collaboration with Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and nearby Princeton University. The research interests of the world-class faculty span diverse areas of intellectual inquiry in the sciences and engineering, including cutting-edge interdisciplinary fields such as bioinformatics, proteomics, neuroscience, nanotechnology, and clean, sustainable energy. Here is just a taste of some of the exciting projects you could pursue as a RiSE Scholar:
study molecular mechanisms governing central nervous system cell survival
clone a gene and study it's expression in cancer cells
develop stem cell-based therapeutics
develop mathematical models to assess exposure to environmental pollutants
design and synthesize biodegradable polymers for delivery of drugs and antimicrobial agents
develop economical materials for fuel cells
design a vaccine for treatment of AIDS
study nutrient dynamics in marine ecosystems
explore human perception using experimental, analytical, and computational techniques
investigate fundamental principles involved in manufacturing pharmaceutical composites
View the titles and abstracts of nearly 300 RiSE projects. To explore additional research possibilities, view our programs of study. If your interests are in the biological sciences, check out our Molecular Biosciences umbrella program.
The RiSE Academic Year Enhancement
Interested students may be able to continue their research during the academic year. Those who live within commuting distance may be able to work in their host labs during the semester. Others may arrange a winter break return. For all students, connections with the RiSE Program Directors continue; we are available to facilitate conference participation and travel funding, answer questions, and guide you with future plans.
The RiSE Residential Experience
Eligible RiSE Scholars receive free on-campus housing in air-conditioned apartments. Scholars from a variety of summer programs live together in a vibrant, multi-cultural community. You will enjoy access to the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center, with it's state-of-the-art fitness center and Olympic pool, located only a short walk from your apartment. Graduate student RAs provide guidance and facilitate social activities.
Situated in the adjacent towns of New Brunswick and Piscataway in Central New Jersey, we offer many cultural and recreational attractions. New Jersey's beautiful Atlantic beachfront and mountains and the excitement and resources of New York City are less than an hour away. We are located along the powerhouse Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington corridor, with convenient public transportation via Amtrak and New Jersey Transit, and are less than 30 minutes by train from Newark Liberty International Airport, a United Airlines hub with frequent and relatively inexpensive service to destinations throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- Application website opens: mid-November
- Rolling admissions begins: late January
- Deadline: There is no hard deadline. Applications are reviewed in the order completed, and admission continues until all open spots have been filled.
Questions? Contact us!
RiSE at Rutgers
Graduate School-New Brunswick
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
25 Bishop Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1181
© 2013 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
All rights reserved.
RiSE at Rutgers is sponsored by the Rutgers University Graduate School-New Brunswick. RiSE is supported by a variety of grants from the National Science Foundation and by the Federation of Societies for Experimental Biology MARC Program, Merck Research Laboratories, NASA New Jersey Space Grant Consortium, ScienceWomen,
and the McNair Scholars Program. We gratefully acknowledge support from collaborative units of Rutgers, including WINLAB, the Institute for Advanced Materials & Nanodevices, and the School of Communication & Information.